Wednesday, January 6, 2010
What to expect in 2010?
In 2009, we got a fast-paced year with the 30th years anniversary of the first book and the publication of “And another thing”, both celebrated with Hitchcon 09, which was the biggest hitchhiker event for a long time. We were lucky enough also to enjoy the publication of a sequel to “Last chance to see” with a new book and a BBC TV series thanks to Stephen Fry and Mark Carwardine.
So what can we expect in 2010? Well I probably forgot some events and I will edit the post if necessary but there are just two events listed right now :
- Thursday March 11th. Eighth Douglas Adams Memorial Lecture. Marcus du Sautoy, the mathematician, Oxford professor and host of BBC TV series "The Story of Maths", talking about 42
- "The Doctor and Douglas", a radio documentary about Douglas Adams and Doctor Who (see previous news) in March or April.
What we could hope for :
- The official announcement of a Dirk Gently TV series (at Hitchcon 09, Douglas Adams agent Ed Victor have confirmed that talks are now in progress with the BBC about a TV-show based on the Dirk Gently novels).
- The announcement of a radio adaptation of "And another thing" by Dirk Maggs (this would be a great idea even if you don’t like Colfer's book).
- “Hitchhiker live” (as seen at the Hitchcon) could become a real show touring across the UK – and why not the world???
- Well, I don’t know if it’s a hope or a fear here, but maybe Penguin will announce a new Hitchhiker book by Eoin Colfer or another writer (Colfer said it would be a great idea to ask some other writers to pen Hitchhiker books – he said Iain Banks, Neil Gaiman and M Atwood could do it). But were the sale figures of “And another thing” that impressive? I don’t think so. And the readers’ reactions to Colfer effort were not that enthusiastic (even if I was not against the project in the first place, I must admit that my own copy gather dust on my bookshelves, my bookmark stuck on page 190).
- Disney won’t make a second movie, so it would be cool if they return the rights of Hitchhiker, so we can have again some new stuff and big projects in the Hitchhiker universe (plays, TV series, a second movie but not produced by Disney). Let’s remember that for all the Hitchhiker events in the recent years (the new radio series, Hitchhiker live,…), there is a big discussion with Disney lawyers.
- ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha (the official H2G2 and Douglas Adams fan club) announces that they will organize their own Hitchcon in 2011 (come on dear ZZ9, you now you want it!)